|1. Breastfeeding (BF)||Infants 0–5 months of age|
- BF initiation, exclusive breastfeeding and other care practices
- Difficulties encountered during BF period and coping responses
|- Period of exclusive BF (0–5 months)|
- Community members’ perceptions on BF practices
|2. Complementary feeding (CF)||Infants 6–8; 9–12; 13–23 months of age|
- Timing of introduction of CF
- Feeding practices, foods or drinks given to the infants in addition to BF
- Difficulties encountered during this period and coping responses
|- Community members’ perceptions on CF practices|
- Care and duties
|3. Food preparation, feeding practices, and storage of foods and drinks for infants||Infants 6–8; 9–12; 13–23 months of age|
- Caregiver behaviors in relation to food preparation and storage
|- Specially prepared food for infant (if prepared for whole family, is it modified for the infant, e.g., thinned out?)|
- Who prepares the food?
- How prepared: single portion or extra (if so, which type of storage vessel)?
- Who feeds the food to the infant, specifically when mother is away?
|4. Breastfeeding and complementary feeding challenges and responses||- Perceptions on challenges, and responses applied to overcome challenges|
- Community support for IYCF
|- Perceptions on breastfeeding and complementary feeding challenges|
- Responses to challenges
- Role of other community members in providing support